The System Support Qualification has been designed to develop learners with the necessary competencies against the skills profile for the various systems support career paths which are available today. (According to SAQA: “The primary aim being to develop a broader base of skilled ICT professionals to underpin economic growth”).
A qualifying learner at this level will be a well-rounded IT professional with opportunities of further specialisation(s) in IT Support fields or in any other related vertical or supported markets.
The qualification is designed to:
- Provide qualified learners with an undergraduate entry into the field of networking/systems support, earning credits towards tertiary offerings in the fields of Computer Studies or Computer Science
- Prepare qualified learners for initial employment in the computer industry.
- Allow the credits achieved in the National Certificates relating to Information Technology at NQF level 4 to be used as prior learning for this qualification.
- Allow many of the unit standards listed in this qualification, to be used in Learnership Schemes in the Information Systems and Technology sector, as well as other sectors where Information Technology is a key requirement.
The System Support qualification has been developed to assist with professionalisation across the Information Technology Industry and on completion of this qualification programme, a learner will be able to:
- Use a logical methodology to troubleshoot the common types of hardware and software problems typically encountered in the day-to-day operations of a department in an organisation.
- Understand the role of technology in the business context.
- Demonstrate basic application support skills
- Demonstrate operating system support skills
- Demonstrate network support skills
- Relate business problems and information technology solutions
- Demonstrate appropriate technical reporting skills
- Demonstrate appropriate customer care in the context of IT support
- Function appropriately in a change management process within a support team
- Demonstrate hardware support skills for server computers
- Demonstrate an understanding of Systems Support contextualised within a selected work area.
Reference for information http://regqs.saqa.org.za/showQualification.php?id=48573