The purpose and background of this qualification is to enhance readiness and to provide a learner with entry into the areas of Systems Development/Programming at NQF level 5 or Tertiary Level. This qualification will prepare learners for entry into the workplace or will act as an undergraduate study in the Systems Development/Programming areas covered, providing the learner with the necessary knowledge needed for further study in the fields of Information Technology and Computer Sciences at Higher Education level.
A qualifying learner at this level will be a well-rounded IT professional and the qualification will allow for expansion within systems development/programming in one or more of the following disciplines:-
- Database Programming.
- Object Oriented Programming.
- Web site development.
- Electronic Commerce.
The benefits and design of the qualification are: -
- To provide qualified learners with an undergraduate entry into the fields of Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Computer Sciences, specialising in the Systems Development area.
- To prepare qualified learners for initial employment into the ICT and related industries. Qualified learners will have a solid understanding of computer industry concepts and will be able to work in areas of Systems Development with intermediate technical complexity.
- To allow the credits achieved in National Certificates relating to Information Technology at NQF level 4 to be used as prior learning for this qualification, where applicable.
- To allow people with workplace experience in the Systems Development areas covered, to request assessments and get recognition for prior learning.
- To allow the qualification to be acquired in the traditional way of formal study as well as in the workplace, through Learnerships or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
- To assist with professionalisation across the Information Technology Sector. It is intended to allow qualified learners to gain membership of registered professional bodies in the ICT industry.